Exchange your home

Mutual Exchange with Homeswapper

Northampton Partnership Homes is registered with the Homeswapper scheme, a major mutual exchange service for council and housing association tenants wanting to move home.

The system checks for possible swaps for you. It then saves the swaps for later so you can review your matches at any time.

If you are interested in a match, you can get in touch with the other tenants by messaging them. Any messages will be sent to registered tenants’ personal Homeswapper inbox.  

Registering with Homeswapper

If you are a NPH tenant, you can register for free.

Tenants of other Landlords must check with their housing provider to see if they can register for free or if a fee is payable.

Apply for a mutual exchange online

Click on the sections below for other important information.


The details about exchanging

Your landlord will need to give you permission before any exchange can go ahead. If you exchange without permission you may be forced to move back. Any housing benefit entitlement will also end on the day you moved without permission. We normally approve exchanges, except where:

  • either tenant has breached their tenancy agreement 
  • either landlord is in the process of taking legal action against either tenant for breach of their tenancy conditions 
  • either property is considered too big or too small or has had disabled adaptations that are no longer needed 
  • the other landlord does not allow exchanges.

Before we give approval for the exchange we do some checks. We inspect your current home to ensure that it is still in good condition and identify any repairs or redecoration that are your responsibility before you leave. A follow up visit will be done to check that these have been done. 

We check your rent account. If you owe any rent your move will be delayed until your arrears or any other housing related debts have been paid off. 

By law we must make a decision within 6 weeks (42 days) from the date of your application. Our target is to let you know within 4 weeks. Once we write to give permission for the exchange to go ahead you must attend to the things the council has asked you to do before you move e.g. any repairs that are required, resulting from damage or neglect. We will check to make sure these repairs have been done and that any outstanding rent arrears or other debts to the council have been paid. 

When you exchange, both tenants must accept the other property in the condition in which it is left (including the decoration). The council will carry out routine repairs in accordance with your tenancy agreement but it will be your responsibility to repair any damage caused by the previous tenant. 


Do you need to downsize?

You could earn £500

If your circumstances change and your council home becomes too big for your needs we could help you move to a more suitable property and complete any adaptations required to your new home. The council runs a scheme to help tenants move to smaller properties. You could be entitled to a payment of £500.

The benefits of this scheme are:

  • As an under-occupier you are likely to get the highest priority for a move. You can bid for properties every week. 
  • We can provide practical advice and support throughout the moving process and we will show you how to bid for a smaller property on the Your Home website
  • We can accompany you when you look at a new home and we can advise you on clearing your old property of unwanted furniture and carpets.
  • If you accept an offer of a smaller council, housing association or private rented property you will qualify for a payment. 

A smaller home may be easier for you to manage. You could also reduce your rent, Council Tax and heating bills.


If you would like any further information call our Rehousing Officers on 01604 837942.