Older persons' housing

We are committed to supporting you

Northampton Partnership Homes is committed to providing support to our older tenants. You do not have to live in housing that is specifically for older people to access support.

If you think you would benefit from extra support to help you live independently in your home, please contact your Housing Officer who will be happy to discuss this with you. 

If you are an older tenant and do not require support but wish to live in a property that has an alarm and is linked to a 24 hour emergency response system, we can also assist you with that. 


Review of older person's housing

We are working on a project to find out more about the needs of our older tenants and make sure that we anticipate how those needs may change in the future.

Some of our housing for older people has been in place for a long time and we really need to make sure that it is still suitable and that we take into account the ongoing needs of individual tenants.

When we talk about older persons’ housing we mean housing that is grouped, sometimes across a number of nearby streets. It is mainly allocated to people aged 55 and over who can live independently with a low level of support. Tenants have access to an alarm system that provides 24 hours a day support.

Why are we carrying out this review?

As part of the development of NPH’s Older Persons’ Strategy, we consulted extensively with older tenants, partner agencies and elected council members. Recommendations were made as a result of this consultation and other research, which has led to NPH reviewing the suitability of its older persons’ housing.

What will change?

We have a number of bungalows currently classified as ‘general needs’. When these homes become vacant they will be assessed and where suitable classified as ‘older persons’ housing’.

Some homes will be assessed as unsuitable for older persons’ housing when they become vacant. This could be due to access, the tenant make-up of a block or other safety concerns. In these cases, the classification will change to ‘general needs’.

What happens next?

In the coming months, our project co-ordinator Emily Sawford will be visiting every tenant whose home will be affected by the changes. At this visit she will:

  • talk to tenants about their individual current and future needs;
  • make sure that they have adequate support in place;
  • identify possible alternative housing options; and
  • agree outcomes with the tenant based on their own preferences.

Visits will take place in phases to allow outcomes to be recorded and reviewed. Emily will keep tenants up to date with the programme and when they can expect her to visit.

We are taking a tenant-led approach to this review and would like to reassure all of our older tenants and the people that support them that nobody will be forced to move home.

For tenants that do decide to move to a home that better suits their needs, we will support the move at every stage. At NPH, we understand that moving home can be daunting and stressful, which is why a dedicated member of staff has been appointed to work solely on this project and make moves as smooth as possible. Emily can help set up household bills, arrange removals and co-ordinate any adaptations that need to be carried out at the new home.


You can contact Emily by calling 01604 837217 or by e-mail on Esawford@northamptonpartnershiphomes.org.uk


Adaptations service

We are committed to helping people live independently in their home. If you or anyone living at your home have a disability and are finding it difficult to get into and around your home or to use some of the facilities within your home we may be able to help by carrying out adaptations.

What do we provide?

  • Advice on equipment and/or adaptation for your home to support your needs
  • Advise and support on alternatives if adaptation is not possible

Some typical fixtures and fittings we provide include the following:

  • Grab rails and banisters
  • Level access to your home
  • Taps and/or handles if yours are difficult to turn
  • Kitchen and Bathroom alterations

To help us decide what kind of help you need, we will assess your needs, in some cases we will also refer your situation to an occupational therapist for further evaluation to ensure we support you and your family to the best of our ability.  Depending on the type of work to be carried out we aim to complete all minor adaptations within 28 days of your assessment. 

Who can we help?

In order to receive help from the Adaptations Service you or anyone living at your home must:

  • Be a council tenant with Northampton Partnership Homes
  • Find normal daily living tasks more difficult to carry out

Frequently asked questions

If you have any questions about adaptations that are not answered below, please send us an email or give us a call.

Who pays for any adaptation work?
NPH will pay the cost of any minor and most major adaptations.

What if my home can’t be adapted?
Some properties can’t be easily adapted, perhaps because of the design or location. We will work with you to find a more suitable home for you to move to.

Is planning permission needed?
If the work is outside, such as a ramp, you may need planning permission from the council. We’ll be happy to help you with this.

Do you need our permission to carry out work?
It's always a good idea to speak to us first, as works to your home normally require permission added to which we may be able to pay for the work. We’ll only refuse permission if your home is not suited to the work that needs to be done.

Getting in touch

You, a member of your family or a friend can contact the Adaptations Service directly with your consent to request an initial assessment:
Tel: 01604 837818
E-mail: adaptations@northamptonpartnershiphomes.org.uk

Other organisations who can help

Care and Repair

Care & Repair (Northamptonshire) Ltd is a Home Improvement Agency (HIA).  Managed by an Independent Management Committee, they provide a range of practical services designed to support older, disabled and vulnerable people and enable them to continue to live safe, warm and secure within their own homes.

Last year they helped just under 4,000 people to feel warmer, safer or more secure at home.

You can contact Care and Repair on 01604 782250 or by e-mail office@careandrepairnorthamptonshire.org.uk

(Industrial & Provident Society with Charitable Status - registration number: IP25783R)